* Directed research in the frontier areas of Nuclear and Radiochemistry including nuclear reactions, actinide chemistry, actinide spectroscopy and nuclear probes.
* Chemical quality control (CQC) of fuel and related nuclear materials with respect to:
- Tracer analysis
- Isotopic Analysis
- Bulk analysis
- Metallic and non-metallic impurity analysis
* Non-destructive assay of special nuclear material.
* Directed Research in actinide chemistry.
* Synthesis methodologies for advanced fuels.
* Radioisotope production and development of radiopharmaceuticals
* Isotope hydrology studies for water resource management Industrial applications of radioisotopes
* Radiation technology for development of materials for special applications
* Radiation applications in solid waste management
* Control and accounting of nuclear material under DAE and IAEA safeguarded facilities.
* Human resource development activities at:
- BARC Training School.
- Centre for Excellence in Basic Science (CEBS), Mumbai
- Other Institutes like Institute of Chemical technology (ICT)
No Carrier Added (NCA) Cu-64 produced using Apsara-U reactor is in the final stage of obtaining regulatory clearance for use as [Cu-64] cuprous ion in non-invasive imaging of different types of cancers like prostate cancer, glioblastoma, lung cancer etc. by PET. A facile radiochemical separation technique has been developed to obtain NCA Cu-64 from irradiated ZnO target in clinically useful form.
Development of organic-organic and organic-inorganic hybrid materials for high temperature and radiation resistant applications.
Geothermal water in Jharkhand, Odisha, West Bengal, Telangana, Uttarakhand, Maharashtra and Bihar were studied for the estimation of reservoir temperature and identification of possible potential recharge areas.
Measurement and modelling of residence time distributions of molten glass in an industrial solar glass production unit using radiotracers.
Analysis of a typical ceramic-to-metal assembly using digital radiographic method was carried out at the request of a user division using constant potential X-ray emission and electronic image capture device. The experiment assisted in evaluation of the design and fabrication process of such components indigenously.
Development of “First of Its Kind in India” pulsed positron beam with 22Na as positron source
The recharge altitudes of the drying springs in mountainous regions of Uttarkashi, Rudraprayag, Paudi Garhwal and Chamoli districts of Uttarakhand were estimated for constructing artificial recharge structure to enhance the spring discharge rates.
Flow investigations of solid phase in a pilot-scale coal gasifiers using radiotracer and radiometric methods.
Tracing groundwater flow paths in a multi-aquifer system of south middle Ganga basin of Patna district, Bihar under aquifer mapping studies is completed. Paleo recharge to deep confined aquifer is identified and interconnections between aquifers are established.
A dedicated X-ray based industrial digital imaging and volume computed tomography facility for advanced non-destructive evaluation has been upgraded and setup at DIR&ICT laboratory at HIRUP. The system is meant for research and development in computational radiation based imaging methods for industrial applications.
Development of sustainable oil/water separating multifunctional super absorbents.
Leak detection investigations are carried out in heat exchanger systems in Mathura, Vadodara and Paradip refineries of M/s IOCL using radiotracer technique. The investigations led to significant savings in revenues due to reduction in down time.
Mass distribution studies in mass region ~180 to understand single particle effect in heavy ion induced nuclear fissions
Development of all solid contact Cs+ ion selective electrode
Decay study of actinides is carried out using heavy ion beams from accelerators followed by gamma-ray spectrometry
Electrochemical Studies of actinides
Identification of the source and origin of geothermal springs and estimation of subsurface temperatures