Applications are invited from Engineering Post-Graduates for Admission to DGFS-Ph.D. Programme (2016) under the Aegis of Homi Bhabha National Institute
Human Resource Development Division (HRDD), Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) Invites applications from Engineering Post-graduates (M. E. / M. Tech. /Equivalent Degree) for admission to DGFS-Ph.D. programme under the aegis of Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI) commencing from August, 2016. The selected students will be admitted to one of the following Constituent Institutions of HBNI:
(1) Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai;
(2) Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam;
(3) Institute for Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar;
(4) Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC), Kolkata.
These centres have been in the forefront of research in various branches of engineering viz. chemical, computer, electrical, electronics, instrumentation, mechanical, metallurgical and nuclear. Several state-of-the-art laboratories and research facilities are unique to these institutions. The Ph.D. Programme in Engineering Sciences is extremely challenging in view of the expanding Nuclear Power Programme of the Department of Atomic Energy. For the motivated candidates, it offers considerable scope to realize their potential while simultaneously contributing to the important task of nation building in this highly specialized area.
The selected students will be awarded fellowships under the DAE Graduate Fellowship Scheme (DGFS-Ph.D.) for pursuing Ph.D. under the aegis of HBNI. The other terms and conditions are:
- The DGFS-PhD fellowship is tenable for three years. Any further extension is based on the progress made in PhD programme and recommendations of the Competent Authority. In any case, no extension will be given beyond five years.
- The amount of fellowship payable under the scheme is Rs.40,000/- pm (Rupees Forty Thousand Only) besides house rent allowance and medical benefits as per rules and an annual contingency grant up to Rs. 32,000/- (Rupees Thirty Two Thousand only).
- The selected fellows will carry out research under the joint supervision of two guides, one having strength in basic research and the other in technology development.
- One has to make own arrangement for accommodation.
- Qualifying Degree and other academic qualifications: Candidates should possess M.E. / M.Tech. or equivalent post graduate degree in chemical/computer/electrical/electronics/instrumentation/mechanical /metallurgical/nuclear engineering with minimum 60% Marks. In addition to this, the student should have 60% marks in B. E. /B. Tech. or any other degree considered to enter M.E. / M.Tech. programme. The ‘qualifying 60% marks’ should be as per the ordinance of the respective degree awarding university OR equivalent of cumulative grade point average CGPA (converted to % Marks by multiplying with 100/x if the CGPA is on x points scale).
- Age limit: The candidates desirous of availing DGFS-Ph.D. fellowship should have been born on or after August 1, 1988. Age limit is relaxable by three years for OBC and by five years for SC/ST applicants. Persons with Disability (PWD) of all categories are eligible for further age relaxation of 10 years. The age limit for the candidates working as faculty in Engineering Colleges is 40 years, who desire to pursue Ph.D. without the fellowship grant.
- Nationality: Applicant should be an Indian citizen.
Applicants who fulfill the above mentioned eligibility criteria, and whose M.Tech. project is of relevance to DAE, will be called to BARC, Mumbai on 25 June 2016 for a written screening test followed by interview of selected candidates. Screening will be based on previous academic records and performance in the screening test. The final selection will be based on performance in the interview. The candidates should be prepared for a 10 minutes presentation on their research interest. Outstation applicants called for written test / interview will be paid to and fro sleeper class train fare on production of tickets by shortest route, or actual fare, whichever is less.
Downlaod application form:
Duly filled in application form as per given format along with self-attested copies of documents mentioned in the application form should be mailed to the following address on or before 16th May 2016.
DGFS-Ph.D. Programme- 2016
Administrative Officer - III,
HRDD, Training School Complex,
Anushaktinagar, Mumbai - 400 094.
Applicants are advised to mail only by registered or speed post services and to preserve the receipt for future reference.